“Give Ear to My Words”
This lesson and the next provide a precious and intimate window in the family life of Alma, one of the great Book of Mormon prophets. These chapters fit into the genre of “Testament”, which records the wisdom and blessings imparted by the patriarch of a family (unfortunately, we don’t have any records of a matriarch sharing her wisdom or blessings that I know of). Alma’s counsel to his sons Helaman, Shiblon, and Corianton provide us some of his final words in the Book of Mormon (before he gives his final blessings and mysteriously disappears in Alma 45).
Highlights of this lesson include
- Alma’s reflections on conversion and the Atonement in poetic form (the strongest example of chiasmus in the Book of Mormon)
- Gems on patience and trust, self-discipline, and humility
- Tackling head on the idea that sexual sin is ranked “next to murder”.
Look forward to an engaging discussion with Carey, Joseph, Danielle and Jessica.
After you listen to the lesson and class discussion, please post your comments and questions here on the blog and continue the conversation!
You can access my Lesson Notes here.
You can find Joseph Spencer’s study on Book of Mormon theology here.
- B. W. Jorgensen, Scriptural Chastity Lessons (Dense article, but carefully thought out. The Corianton portion starts on page 18)
- Michael Ash, “Sin Next to Murder: An Alternative Interpretation”