The theme of this lesson is to “liken the scriptures to ourselves”, which means it is about nothing less than how to study the scriptures. How do we apply the scriptures to our lives? How do we determine what to focus on, what is valuable? What is our standard to determine which stories are good examples, and which bad?
We will discuss the following steps of scripture study:
- Literary: What do the words mean? Seems like an obvious step but hey, sometimes it is harder than others to figure out. How does the passage in question relate to those around it, its immediate literary context?
- Personal: What personal meaning and value can you draw out of the passage you are reading?
- Theological: What insights about theology/doctrine or the gospel does the passage contain?
- Historical: What is the historical context of the passage? Are there any historical references, allusions, or presuppositions in the passage?
- Critical/Ethical: This is the chance to engage with the scriptures, to “challenge and be challenged by.” Is there anything in the passage that makes you rethink your views, that grants insights or shifts in perspective? Is there anything in the passage that is disturbing or problematic?
Because we are covering D&C 25, we will be focusing this episode on Emma Smith as well, a central and complicated figure within Mormonism. Marriage, pride, and a positive attitude are also themes in the lesson.
One Time Donation:
Please continue the conversation by posting your comments and questions here, in the facebook group, or email them to me at MormonStories at gmail.
Join Danielle, Emily, Ben and Aaron for a lively discussion of these important topics (Note: Aaron had to leave part way in and I forgot to mention it, so that is what happened).
Many thanks to Devin Roth for the beautiful bumper music. Check out his arrangement of hymns and other work at DevinRothMusic!
Thanks to James Estrada of Oak Street Audio for his excellent work post production. Nathan Jones did a great job editing the discussion portion.
You can access my Lesson Notes here.
You can access my Reading Notes here.
Carol Cornwall Madsen, Sperry Symposium piece on D&C 25
Suggested resources put together by descendants of Joseph and Emma
Richard E. Turley and Britney A. Chapman Volume 1: Women of faith in latter days
Richard E. Turley and Britney A. Chapman Volume 2: Women of faith in latter days
Richard E. Turley and Britney A. Chapman Volume 3: Women of faith in latter days
Daughters of my kingdom, lds.org site about Relief Society