So first, look at our last missionary work episode with abundant awesome links:
We are going to look at this lesson from two primary angles:
First, what can we learn from the sacrifices of missionaries who have gone before us, especially the example of the early missionaries? How can we make our own sacrifices most effective?
Second, how does missionary work fit within the context of the fourfold mission of the Church? Temple work takes care of itself when there are happy, engaged members, so I want to look especially at how we can work to make a Church worth joining (perfect the saints) and how caring for the poor and needy (the fourth mission) can benefit missionary efforts as well as fulfilling central gospel principles.
One Time Donation:
Join the discussion with Bonnie, John, and my own sister-in-law Hilary.
Please continue the conversation by posting your questions and comments here, in the facebook group, or email them to MormonSundaySchool at gmail.
You can access my Lesson Notes here.
You can access my Reading Notes here.
- President Monson’s Conference announcement of changes to missionary ages
- Information on the “Work of Salvation” broadcast
- The Church Handbook of Instruction’s description of the missions of the Church
- A BYU talk by Elder Oaks about missionary work, focusing on China
- An overview of the history of Sister Missionaries
- An Ensign article about the first Sister Missionaries
- Hearken O Ye People, The Historical Setting of Joseph’s Ohio Revelations
- Conference talk about Jesus’ example caring for those in need
- Elder Christofferson’s Conference talk about spiritual and physical redemption
- Article on the announcement of the Fourth Mission of the Church
- A blog post about the lack of attention given to the fourth mission of the Church
Many thanks to Devin Roth for the beautiful bumper music. Check out his arrangement of hymns and other work at DevinRothMusic!
Thanks to James Estrada of Oak Street Audio for going above and beyond and editing on the 4th of July!