One of the gospel’s great contributions is its expansive, detailed, and powerful description of the Plan of Salvation–encompassing more than simply the afterlife, the scriptures describe multiple steps–the pre-existence, earth life, the spirit world, and then the kingdoms of glory. In this episode we will
- Briefly touch on the history of the idea of salvation in early Mormon teachings
- We will then discuss each step of the plan of salvation and explore what we can know (as well as engaging in a bit of fun speculation)
- Earth life in the context of eternity
- Spirit World
- Telestial Kingdom
- Terrestrial Kingdom
- Celestial Kingdom
- We will tackle the question of who will be saved and touch on the idea of progression between kingdoms
One Time Donation:
Additional Teacher Reading: Revelation 12:7–9; D&C 29:36–37; Moses 4:1–3 Moses 4:4; 1 Nephi 14:14; D&C 10:5; 27:15–18; 1 Corinthians 15:40–41; Ephesians 4:11–15; 1 Nephi 15:24; Helaman 5:12; D&C 3:7–8; 21:4–6; 52:14–20; D&C 121:29 2 Ne. 31:20; James 1:27
Join Geoff, Laurel, Danny and Genavee for a lively, thought provoking, and perhaps even paradigm-shifting discussion.
Continue the conversation by posting your comments and questions here, in the facebook group, or email them to me at MormonSundaySchool at gmail.
You can access my Reading Notes here.
- Comparison of the scriptural and poetic form of D&C 76
- Eugene England’s essay on Eternal Progression
- Terry and Fiona Givens God Who Weeps (chapter 4 covers salvation)
- Historical context of D&C 76
- Development of the idea of God and Eternal Progression in Joseph Smith and Brigham Young
- General Authority Quotes on progression between the kingdoms
- Thoughts on Multiple Mortal Probations
Many thanks to Devin Roth for the beautiful bumper music. Check out his arrangement of hymns and other work at DevinRothMusic!
Thanks to James Estrada of Oak Street Audio for his timely and high quality post-production.