Why? Why me? Why my loved one? Why any of us? Where is God? There are no more poignant questions in life. This may prove to be the most important episode we even produce, as it explores our deepest question–why life is so hard. So unfair. So painful. This lesson and discussion will explore:
- Confronting the scope of suffering
- Suffering in the scriptures
- What does the nature of suffering teach us about God? (theodicy)
- Coping with our own suffering
- Others’ suffering: Comforting and Mourning with those in need
The discussion is long, but well worth listening to. Natasha, Nathan, Jacob and Berta provide expert and experienced engagement with these difficult topics.
One Time Donation:
Teacher Reading: D&C 121; 123; 2 Nephi 9:21; Hebrews 4:15; Hebrews 4:16; 1 Peter 5:6–11; D&C 127:2; 2 Nephi 2:11; Alma 32:5–6; 62:41; Helaman 12:1–3; D&C 24:8; D&C 31:9; D&C 54:10; Alma 17:11; D&C 98:1; D&C 98:11; D&C 101:36–38; D&C 98:13; Alma 62:49–51; Luke 9:24; Galatians 6:2; Alma 36:3; D&C 3:8; D&C 24:8; D&C 112:13; Jacob 3:1; Mosiah 24:13–14; Alma 36:27; D&C 103:12; D&C 127:4; D&C 98:3; D&C 90:24; D&C 100:15; 2 Nephi 2:2; Romans 8:28; D&C 19:23
You can access my Reading Notes here.
Please continue the conversation by posting your questions and comments here, in the facebook group, or email them to me at MormonSundaySchool at gmail.
- Elder Maxwell, Enduring Well
- Elder Eyring, In the Strength of the Lord
- A Maxwell Institute article on Joseph Smith on the Problem of Evil
- Mormon Matters on Suffering
- RadioWest series on Tragedy
- RadioLab on dealing with death
- RadioLab on why humans do terrible things
- RadioLab on why humans do good things
- Viktor E. Frankl: Man’s Search for Meaning
- On Being, Happiness and Suffering
- On Being, How we use God for our own agendas
- On Being post about moving beyond the humiliation of suffering
- TED talk on turning suffering into healing
- Psychology today article on Post-Traumatic Growth
- “The Trauma of Being Alive”, New York Times
Jacob Baker gets his own subcategory for his series of poignant and powerful BCC posts
- Deaths and (Re)Births
- Mormonism’s Weeping God
- They Lay Down beside Her and Wept
- Being Someone to Sit with
Many thanks to Devin Roth for the beautiful bumper music. Check out his arrangement of hymns and other work at DevinRothMusic!
Thanks to James Estrada of Oak Street Audio for his quality post-production, and to Trent Oliphant for updating the episode.