The flood story is one of the best known in the Bible (my children played with their Fisher Price Noah’s Ark while I recorded this lesson), but also problematic on multiple levels. This episode introduces some of those concerns and then focuses on the positives in the story–the flood and its aftermath representing God’s covenantal mercy and the renewal of creation.
Class Member Reading: Moses 8:19–30; Genesis 6–9; 11:1–9; Hebrews 11:7
Additional Reading: Moses 7:32–36
Other Reading: Genesis 10
Anna, Brian, Jake and Sheldon join the discussion.
One Time Donation:
Lesson Part 1
4:04 Problematic Nature of Noah’s Flood
6:51 Moses 8:19-30
10:55 Genesis 6-9 (JPS Study Bible)
22:45 The flood and Environmentalism
Discussion Part 1
27:10 Discussion Intros
29:52 What to do with the flood in Sunday School
34:54 God of the flood
42:54 Personal application of the flood
45:45 Tower of Babel
- Church Statement on Environmental Sustainability
- Flood episode at Mormon Matters, with the following four excellent linked resources:
- David Bokovoy, Authoring the Old Testament: Genesis–Deuteronomy (Forthcoming very soon from Greg Kofford Books)
- Duane E. Jeffery, “Noah’s Flood: Modern Scholarship and Mormon Tradition,” Sunstone, October 2004, 27-45
- Clayton M. White and Mark D. Thomas, “On Balancing Faith in Mormonism with Traditional Biblical Stories: The Noachian Flood Story,” Dialogue: A Journal of Mormon Thought 40, no 3 (Fall 2007): 85-110
- David Montgomery, “Reading the Rocks: Flood Stories and Deep Time,” On Being podcast, with Krista Tippett, 1 August 2013
- “Of Babies, Boats, and Arks,” the essay Sheldon mentioned linking the flood to gestation.
- Henry Eyring (Sr), Reflections of a Scientist, Deseret Book eBook
- Friedman, Bible with the Sources Revealed
- Atrahasis Epic, British Museum
- Gilgamesh Epic, British Museum
- Text of the Gilgamesh Epic
- Article reviewing a study about a potential original language
Thanks to Jim Henderson for content editing, James Estrada for his audio editing, and to Steven Nelson for the beautiful bumper music.