Sexuality is an aspect of life universally experienced but difficult to talk about. And the assigned readings are no exception. This episode engages with the stories of Dinah, Tamar, and Potiphar’s wife and models a constructive approach to talking about sexuality in a Church context. We also discuss both chastity and sexual transgression.
One Time Donation:
Other Reading: None
Sara, Corey, Jennifer and Natasha provide an expert and valuable discussion.
Lesson Part 1
5:13 Assigned Reading
21:01 What is the Law of Chastity?
Discussion Part 1
29:00 Chastity in most SS Lessons
31:45 Rape of Dinah
40:58 Judah and Tamar
51:20 Joseph and Potiphar’s Wife
54:40 Productive Discussions of the Law of Chastity
1:04:38 Sexual Transgression
- Elder Holland, Of Souls, Symbols, and Sacraments
- Mormonism’s sexuality and modesty discourse, MormonMatters
- Jennifer Fife’s interview on Mormon women and sexuality at Mormon Stories
- And They Were Not Ashamed, Deseret Book (Great book on married sexuality)
- Real Intimacy (another book about sexuality from an LDS perspective)
- Passionate Marriage, a very helpful though mainstream book about sexuality (perhaps not for all LDS couples)
- Write up about a Sunstone Presentation how Romance novels lead to better sex for Mormon women
- Natasha Parker’s blog post about masturbation
- Natasha’s blog “Mormon Therapist” (lots of great resources)
- Mormon Sex Girls on masturbation at the Cultural Hall podcast
- Lisa at FeminstMormonHousewives talks about her perspective on sexuality
Thanks to James Estrada for postproduction, and as always to Steven Nelson for the beautiful bumper music.