This lesson is about sacrifices, one easier than the other–tithing and fasting (guess which is which). Money is one of those topics considered impolite to discuss, and the message that all we have belongs to God and therefore God should be able to command what we should do with it is certainly a bold and often unwelcome claim!
In this lesson we will explore
- How tithing functions and is talked about at Church
- Tithing in early Church history
- Tithing in the Bible
- Personal approaches to tithing.
- Fasting and fast offerings
- The core question of how we can give of our substance to further God’s work in responsible, effective ways.
And above all this lesson will invite reflection on the relationship between tithing, fast offerings, and other worthy giving.
One Time Donations:
I am heartbroken to say that for the first (and only!) time, I forgot to push record for the discussion! So this is an unusual episode. Following the lesson, Bonnie and I try to reconstruct and give some of the feel of an earlier epic conversation with Bonnie, Rock, Kevin, and John. The episode then has my portion of the earlier conversation which was recorded.
Feel free to continue the conversation by posting your comments and questions here, in the facebook group, or email them to me at MormonSundaySchool at gmail.
You can access my Reading Notes here.
Many thanks to Devin Roth for the beautiful bumper music. Check out his arrangement of hymns and other work at DevinRothMusic!
Thanks to James Estrada of Oak Street Audio for heroic work getting this messy episode in shape.
- Encyclopedia of Mormonism entry on Tithing
- History of Tithing
- Blog post about Church finances from a member in New Zealand
- Rock Waterman’s carefully researched post about the history and nature of tithing
- Thoughtful reflections about how what is “tithable income” at By Common Consent
- The benefits of tithing from a broader perspective