The story of the Saints crossing the plains to arrive in Utah has become a pilgrimage of heritage and imagination. Our minds follow their feet that brought them and the gospel across the United States. In addition, the pioneer spirit applies to all members of the Church, all humans… we all come from pioneers, and we are pioneers in our own right. And often we learn and change the most from our own “Crossing the plains” experiences.
One Time Donation:
New Church Resources:
- “This Shall Be Our Covenant”: This article shows how difficulties crossing Iowa helped lead to the Lord revealing what is now known as Doctrine and Covenants 136.
- Saints at Devil’s Gate: This exhibit combines artistic depictions of landscapes along the pioneer trail with journal excerpts and photos of the pioneers who wrote them.
- Mormon Pioneers: 1847–Today: This page links to a wide variety of resources on Mormon pioneers.
- “‘In My Father’s House Are Many Mansions’: Green Flake’s Legacy of Faith”: This article tells the story of Green Flake, an African American member of the 1847 vanguard company.
- Pioneer Day infographics: These infographics give insight into pioneer life on the trail.