Birthright Blessings; Marriage in the Covenant
The episode continues by reviewing Jewish practices of endogamy (marrying within one’s culture), wrestles with challenging or even harmful aspects of LDS approaches to marriage and children, and concludes with a discussion of healthy approaches to relationships.
One Time Donation:
Class Member Reading: Genesis 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29
Additional Reading: None
Adam and Cami continue the discussion.
You can access the Annotated Reading here (or PDF).
You can access the Lesson Notes here (or PDF).
Lesson Part 2: Scholarship
0:00 Review of Format and Resources
4:15 Bible Commentary Notes
8:25 Marrying Within the Culture
12:50 Historical Endogamy
13:45 Critical Reading
19:24 Pres. Kimball Quote
31:28 Temple Marriage and Sealing Policies
Discussion Part 2
Discussion Part 3
35:45 What Difference does a Temple Marriage Make?
51:13 Temple Sealing
58:10 Concluding Thoughts
- Marvin J. Ashton, What Is Your Destination?
- Marion D. Hanks, Eternal Marriage
- Elder Nelson, Children in the Covenant
- Principles of a Happy Marriage
- Relationship advice from the Gottman Institute
- Blog post by Jana Riess on why Mormons marry within their faith
- Robert Kirby on temple marriage and families
- SL Tribune article on possible changes to sealing policies
- RadioWest, How Children Succeed
- Carlfred Broderick, The Uses of Adversity
Thanks to James Estrada for quick and skillful postproduction, and as always to Steven Nelson for the beautiful bumper music.
Leave a Reply